Upsolve is an award-winning nonprofit technology startup that helps low-income Americans get a fresh start after financial shocks. We do this through the first software platform that automates Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Bankruptcy is a lifeline for low-income Americans because it erases debt from credit cards, medical bills, and judgments. But it’s impossible for most people to file for bankruptcy because they cannot afford attorneys.
Last year, 19 million American households would have benefitted from filing for bankruptcy but fewer than half a million did file. At Upsolve, you’ll help more clients in one month than many nonprofits help in multiple years. We’re supported by the top funders in our space. This includes the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, ex-Google CEO Eric Schmidt, the Robin Hood Foundation, and the U.S. Government, which is supporting our 2018 national expansion.
Upsolve is a small, close-knit team. You’ll have the chance to be a part of the founding team at a fast-growing organization transforming how law is practiced across the country.
To learn more about Upsolve, watch this video:
Here will be your responsibilities:
- Preparing bankruptcy forms and guiding debtors on the legal intricacies of their case, including how to keep their property through bankruptcy and erase different types of debts
- Helping design and improve Upsolve’s product to ensure we can reach as many debtors who need our help as possible
- Providing financial advice to users once they complete the bankruptcy process, so they can get back on their feet, and designing resources to scale our post-bankruptcy assistance
- Outreach to community-based organizations across NYC and the United States to train them on the benefits of bankruptcy and how Upsolve works
- Additional entrepreneurial projects to maximize the number of people we reach across NYC and the entire country
- Desire to be a part of a fast-paced, high growth startup team that aims to change the delivery of legal services for low-income Americans
- Commitment to pushing the boundaries of legal services
- Excellent attention to detail and communication abilities
- Interest in pursuing a career in legal services, nonprofits, or startups
- Extreme empathy for our users
- Past work experience at a legal aid organization, law office, technology company, or political campaign
- Prior work experience with underserved markets and community-based organizations
- Some engineering, data science, or technical background
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please email Rohan Pavaluri at email@example.com. Include your resume and tell us about why you think you’d be a great fit for our team. Feel free to send any questions our way too. We’re excited to hear from you!