Managing Attorney, Chicago
Upsolve is an award-winning nonprofit technology startup that helps the victims of our broken financial system get back on their feet. We do this through the first TurboTax for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Bankruptcy is a lifeline for Americans because it wipes their slate clean, improves their credit, and increases their chances of getting a job. But it’s impossible for people to file for bankruptcy on their own because the forms are too complicated, and lawyers cost $2,000 on average.
Last year, 19 million American households would have benefitted from filing for bankruptcy but fewer than half a million did file. At Upsolve, you’ll help more clients in one month than many nonprofits help in multiple years. We’re supported by the top funders in our space. This includes the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, ex-Google CEO Eric Schmidt, the Robin Hood Foundation, and the U.S. Government.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial lawyer who wants to join our leadership team and grow our Chicago presence. Only apply if you want to work hard and get your hands dirty building something great with us.
Managing Attorney Description
Upsolve is a small, close-knit team. You’ll have the chance to be a part of the leadership team at a fast-growing startup transforming how law is practiced across the country.
To learn more about Upsolve, watch this video:
Here will be your responsibilities:
- Building and leading Upsolve's new Chicago office
- Preparing bankruptcy forms and guiding debtors on the legal intricacies of their case, including how to keep their property through bankruptcy and erase different types of debts
- Helping design and improve Upsolve’s product to ensure we can reach as many debtors who need our help as possible
- Outreach to government agencies, nonprofits, and companies across Chicago and the United States to train them on the benefits of bankruptcy and how Upsolve works
- Engaging stakeholders across Chicago to grow Upsolve's reach and visbility in the city
- Entrepreneurial leadership experience; we're not looking for lawyers who are risk averse
- Commitment to pushing the boundaries of legal services
- Impeccable attention to detail and proven legal track record
- Interest in growing an organization from startup to scale
- Extreme empathy for our users
- Past work experience at a legal aid organization, law office, technology company, or political campaign
- Prior work experience with underserved markets and community-based organizations
- Past experience as a founder
- We do not care if you have past experience with bankruptcy
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please email Rohan Pavuluri at email@example.com. Include your resume and tell us about why you think you’d be a great fit for our team. Feel free to send any questions our way too. We’re excited to hear from you!