2020 Best Invention

"Section 609 Letter" Discussion

Upsolve is a nonprofit tool that helps you file bankruptcy for free. Think TurboTax for bankruptcy. Get free education, customer support, and community. Featured in Forbes 4x and funded by institutions like Harvard University so we'll never ask you for a credit card. Explore our free tool

Compiled by Upsolve Team

Live Community Q&A

763 Members Online · 5,543+ Posts

Professional Q&As for "Section 609 Letter"

Upsolve Community Member
2021-12-10

Im 24 years old, have came into quite a bit of debt. Partially due to the obvious young age and making poor choices (I.E. lifestyle inflation etc.), along with switching roles at my job for less pay. The reason for that was a quality of life imporvment. No more long nights, massive amounts of OT, constant stress and so on. Would filing for this make my life harder? Or with my young age would it make it eaiser than paying back the 25k+ in debt? Anxious on making the life choice here.

19 Reactions

Community Replies:

Upsolve Community Member
One of the things to consider is whether you could repay your current unsecured debt in 5 years if nothing at all changes about your income, the balances, or the interest rates. Of course, timing plays a role here too. It's not ok to run up more CC debt than one can handle and then turn around to file bankruptcy. But that's not the same thing as dealing with a mistake from your past by seeking protection in bankruptcy court now. 

Upsolve Community Member
https://upsolve.org/learn/pros-cons-filing-chapter-7-bankruptcy/ is a good place to start! 

Upsolve Community Member
Devyn, I commend you for being REAL! The first step is acknowledging that some poor choices were made along the way. Very few would admit that, yet we ALL have made some poor choices during our life journey. I am reading GREAT NEWS in your post because you KNOW who it is up to learn new habits, such as setting up a budget and STICKING TO IT.  Since I filed Chapter 7 in 2020, I have "raised" $30,000 by pivoting and working side gigs. Sure, I was the beneficiary of the Stimulus payments, but that same $25K (the debt you say you have) was "raised" in less than a couple of years' time. We are all different animals in how we live life, but I will give you a personal opinion based on your intelligent post that you can pay that off. That's just my opinion! Good luck in making your decisions ahead. :-).  P.S. There is a https://my.upsolve.org/rooms/19 forum section in this Community that just opened. I look forward to seeing you there!  

Upsolve Community Member
2021-11-12

If I’m being garnished at work for 2 years. Do I say it with a law suit this year ? Or will there be another place to put it?

11 Reactions

Community Replies:

Upsolve Community Member
Great question! You'll want to make sure you list this in all of the following spots: (1) as a debt owed to the creditor that sued you, with their attorneys listed as additional notice recipients, (2) as a lawsuit within the last year, and (3) in yet another spot where it asks how much has been garnished from you recently.

Upsolve Community Member
Also check out https://upsolve.org/learn/when-wage-garnishment-stop-after-file/ so you know what to do once your case is filed! 

Upsolve Community Member
For more information on lawsuits, check out this article about https://upsolve.org/learn/what-happens-when-someone-sues-you/. When you go through the questionnaire, there will be a section where you can disclose information about the lawsuit and about the garnishment.

Upsolve Community Member
2021-12-09

Hey all, may find this article useful? https://upsolve.org/learn/8-tips-for-effective-money-management/

8 Reactions

Community Replies:

Upsolve Community Member
All 8 tips are included in my top 10 too! Maybe we need an accountability group section! This isn't just for folks living paycheck to paycheck. From Wall Street analysts to big-time corporate CEO's to social good platform founders, we ALL need to be held accountable by others!  For example, a practical budget followed on a daily basis is an incredibly GREAT HABIT to adopt. I'm guilty. I never did this when I was younger and I'm kicking myself somebody didn't take me under their wing and hold me ACCOUNTABLE to where it would become a lifelong habit. This BUILDS WEALTH. Wealth doesn't mean "millions". It means CONTROL of where every dollar is at any given time. For some, it's millions. For others, it's hundreds. It is what you DO with that wealth that builds your nest egg. Hey, I know --- "OK, I'll start tomorrow... and then the next day... and then you wake up and you are 65. You have got to trust me here: Time doesn't walk. It flies.  Please go read Rohan's contribution article above. Thanks! :-). 

Upsolve Community Member
2021-12-10

I do not want to feel like I am using bankruptcy as a copout. I have tried to pay down my creditors and have succeeded in paying off several trade lines; however a few of my credit cards are just too high for me to afford to pay my current bills, to survive and feed myself and pay off my credit cards it would take me over 20 years in order to do so. Unfortunately, my credit cards were closed before the pandemic offered some leeway to consumers to keep their cards open and all of my cards were closed but I paid those off. I am worried that I wasted my time paying off closed accounts. I have a few open cards that have no missed payments but every time I make a payment and my overall that goes down for some reason my credit score goes down with it. I have student loans that I am paying off after a consolidation and even though there is a government hold on having to pay them I’m still paying them down in order to avoid paying higher interest. I have noticed that since I started paying these down my credit score dropped about five points with each payment. I just want to start over and I don’t want to have to wait almost 8 years in order to do so. But I’m also worried because I do not have the money to pay down to a lawyer for a bankruptcy case. I have no assets so I’m not worried about having to fight for those. Does having no assets and no money to pay a lawyer prevent me from being able to file bankruptcy?

8 Reactions

Community Replies:

Upsolve Community Member
Welcome, Patricia - I'm so glad you found us. To answer your query on whether not having assets or money to pay a lawyer prevents you from filing - **absolutely not**. In fact, most people who file Chapter 7 bankruptcy find themselves in some version of that situation. 

Upsolve Community Member
https://upsolve.org/learn/how-to-file-chapter-7-with-no-money/ might be an interesting read for you. 

Upsolve Community Member
Hi Patricia, thank you for your detailed post! Let's separate your student loan debt issue from your consumer credit challenge. I cannot advise you on this subject but I can point you to a great article in the Learning Center: https://upsolve.org/learn/which-debt-should-you-pay-off-first/  As far as your student loans are concerned, I suggest checking out the new https://my.upsolve.org/rooms/18 section in this Community! :-)

Upsolve Community Member
2021-12-02

I am previewing the Voluntary Petition draft. Why on the second page does it mention business names I've had in the last 8 years, when Upsolve's form only asked for the last 4 years? (I do have a business I've had in the last 8 years, but not the last 4)

8 Reactions

Community Replies:

Upsolve Community Member
Michelle, thanks so much for asking! I took a look but it does look like the software asks for the past 8 years. If you need to update your answers, feel free to re-do the "About You" section. 

Upsolve Community Member
If you'd like assistance, I'm also happy to enter the information- just reply here with the names you need added and I can update your account. 

Upsolve Community Member
Thanks so much! Please let us know if you have any other questions! 

Upsolve Community Member
Thank you! I looked back at my tax information and I won't need to include that business (it was in my name and my own social security as TIN anyway). However I'm not sure if what's currently on the draft (A Place for Rover) needs to be there. I did a lot of work as Independent Contractor / Gig and the draft doesn't list any of those even though I listed them in the business section. A Place for Rover is Independent Contractor work (somebody else's business that I am not an employee of, but do work through as a self business). Do you have maybe an idea about that?

Upsolve Community Member
And thanks Claire you are really super helpful, throughout this process

Upsolve Community Member
Yes I think after checking everything over that A Place for Rover should not be listed as a Business Name, as it is a Sole Proprietorship. I would need help taking that off (as I don't know how it got on!)

It's easy to get help

Choose one of the options below to get assistance with your bankruptcy:

Free Web App

Take our screener to see if Upsolve is right for you.

Take Screener
9,136 families have filed with Upsolve! ☆
or

Private Attorney

Get a free bankruptcy evaluation from an independent law firm.

Find Attorney

Learning Center

Research and understand your options with our articles and guides.

Go to Learning Center →

Already an Upsolve user?

Read Support Articles →

News

+ Show Articles

Upsolve is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that started in 2016. Our mission is to help low-income families who cannot afford lawyers file bankruptcy for free, using an online web app. Spun out of Harvard Law School, our team includes lawyers, engineers, and judges. We have world-class funders that include the U.S. government, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, and leading foundations. It's one of the greatest civil rights injustices of our time that low-income families can’t access their basic rights when they can’t afford to pay for help. Combining direct services and advocacy, we’re fighting this injustice.

To learn more, read why we started Upsolve in 2016, our reviews from past users, and our press coverage from places like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.