Upsolve is looking for a programmer to join in building a self-service bankruptcy tool for 20 million low income families in the United States and help build a national poverty fighting organization.
We’re a small tech nonprofit team aiming to build a world-class user experience while being resource constrained, compliant with the expectations of federal agencies, and on the defense from intimidation by lobbying groups.
These hurdles are all the more reason why this work needs to be done and we’re the only organization to pull this off. This is why we have support from organizations like the Robin Hood Foundation, Legal Services Corporation, and Y-Combinator.
You will be the second founding engineer to join team, so you should expect to wear many hats. One week you may help with SEO-based growth and the next week you may be creating a natural language processing tool that processes court notices. To thrive in this position, you will need to be comfortable as a generalist driving your own direction and learning. You will have to choose each day when to ship quickly and when to raise the standard of the code base. You will have to watch, understand, and solve for the problems that our team mates and users hit.
We aim to build an engineering culture that matches Netflix and Segment and a design culture that matches UENO and Airbnb. We constantly seek out mentorship and advice so we can improve ourselves and we want to support you in doing the same. We aim to create a reputation that for-profits and non-profits aspire to match.
Here are some goals the team is energized to tackle and build:
- In the next 3 months double site traffic
- In the next 3 months, understand and solve for drop off in our self-guided interview
- In the next 6 months, optimize the business model so we can break even as an organization and be default-alive (currently 50% of the way there over the past 2 months)
- In the next 6 months, have 95% of cases filed without lawyer edits (currently 80%)
- By the end of the year, accomplish 4,000 filings (did 400 last year)
Engineering + Empathy
We recognize that building a top-tier engineering and design culture is more than output. We’re humans growing and navigating many parts of our lives as we know you are too. We’ve seen and experienced burn out and understand that investing in each other’s wellness along the way is important. We strive to create a community that is as healthy as it is ambitious so you can write your best code, do your best designs, and grow.
About this Role
We’re looking for software engineers with different levels of experience but regardless of your seniority, you’re guaranteed to make a substantial contributions right away. To be effective and successful on our size team, you must have:
- 3+ years full-stack development experience building, shipping, and maintaining complex full-stack software
- Experience building and shipping something in a startup environment (either an actual startup, or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization)
Our dog-friendly office is based in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn.
We’d love to talk to you. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org