Upsolve is looking for a software engineer to join us in building a self-service bankruptcy tool for 20 million low income families in the United States and help us build a national poverty fighting organization.
We’re a small tech nonprofit team aiming to build a world-class user experience while being resource constrained, compliant with the expectations of federal agencies, and on the defense from intimidation by lobbying groups.
These hurdles are all the more reason why this work needs to be done and we’re the only organization to pull this off. We have the support of organizations like the Robin Hood Foundation, Legal Services Corporation, and Y-Combinator.
You will be the second founding engineer on the team, and you will wear many hats. One week you may help with SEO-based growth and the next you may be building a natural language processing tool that processes court notices. To thrive in this position, you work as a generalist driving your own direction and learning. You will choose when to ship quickly and when to raise the standard of the code base. You will observe, understand, and solve for the problems that our teammates and users experience.
We are building an engineering culture inspired by Netflix and Segment, and a design culture like UENO and Airbnb. We constantly seek out mentorship and advice so we can improve ourselves and we want to support you in doing the same. We are creating a reputation that for-profits and non-profits will aspire to match.
Here are some goals the team is energized to accomplish:
- In the next 3 months double site traffic
- In the next 3 months, understand and solve for drop off in our self-guided interview
- In the next 6 months, optimize the business model so we can break even as an organization and be default-alive (currently 50% of the way there over the past 2 months)
- In the next 6 months, have 95% of cases filed without lawyer edits (currently 80%)
- By the end of the year, accomplish 4,000 filings (did 400 last year)
Engineering + Empathy
We recognize that building a top-tier engineering and design culture is more than output. We’re humans growing and navigating many parts of our lives as we know you are too. We strive to create a culture that is as sustainable as it is ambitious so you can write your best code, do your best designs, and grow.
About this Role
We’re looking for software engineers with different levels of experience. Regardless of your seniority, you’re guaranteed to make a substantial contributions right away. To be effective and successful on our size team, you must have:
- 3+ years full-stack development experience building, shipping, and maintaining complex full-stack software
- Experience building and shipping software in a startup environment (either an actual startup, or an intrapreneurial situation within a larger organization)
Our dog-friendly office is based in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn.
We’d love to talk to you. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org