What is an "Official Form 309A -- No Proof of Claim?"

Successful debtor 1
Successful debtor 2
Successful debtor 3
successful debtor 4
Successful debtor 5
3,004 families filed bankruptcy using Upsolve.

Written by Kristin Turner.  
Updated May 16, 2019

A nonprofit that helps you file bankruptcy for free.
  • We've helped over 2,000 families each clear on average $52,084 of debt.
  • Our users often file within 10 days of starting.
  • Our award winning nonprofit's help is 100% free.

The court sends this document to the creditors you listed on your bankruptcy paperwork when you file. It gives each creditor important information about your case and tells them what they need to do if they have a reasonable objection to your bankruptcy.

If you receive this notice, it means one of three things:

  1. The address you provided for the creditor in your bankruptcy paperwork was incorrect,

  2. The court sent you notice of your own bankruptcy via this form, or

  3. Someone who owes you money filed bankruptcy.

You do not need to do anything in the second and third scenarios unless you want to object to the someone else's bankruptcy.

In the first scenario, you need to try to get the notice to the creditor in question.

  1. Find the correct address. Bills are a great way to do this, but you can also call the creditor or do an internet search.

  2. Mail the notice to the correct address. It's a good idea to use registered mail with a return receipt requested so that you can prove service on the creditor if later they claim they were not served.

  3. File an amendment to the bankruptcy matrix. You can find instructions here -- Upsolve cannot help you with this.

The good news is that, in most states, even if the creditor does not receive this notice in your Chapter 7 case, the debt is erased anyway. This is because there would have been no funds available to pay the debt even if they were given a chance to object. It’s a “no harm, no foul” rule.

Some states don’t follow the “no harm, no foul” approach -- if the creditor does not receive notice, the debt is not erased (unless the creditor otherwise knew about the bankruptcy). You would need to amend your bankruptcy forms to add the creditor's correct address in order to get it erased. You can contact your local bankruptcy court to find out which rules apply in your state.

It's easy to get help

Choose one of the options below to get assistance with your bankruptcy:
Page 1Created with Sketch.

Free Bankruptcy Help

Take our bankruptcy screener to see if you're a fit for Upsolve's free service!

3,004 families filed with Upsolve ☆

Private Attorney

Get a free bankruptcy evaluation from a local law firm.

Questions about bankruptcy?

Research and understand your options with our articles and guides.

Go to Learning Center →

Questions about Upsolve?

Read Support Articles →
Legal Services Corporation
Robin Hood
The Upsolve Team
Harvard University
Fast Forward

Upsolve is a 501(c)(3) legal aid nonprofit that started in 2016. Our mission is to help low-income Americans in financial distress get a fresh start through Chapter 7 bankruptcy at no cost. We do this by combining the power of technology with attorneys. Spun out of Harvard Law School, our team includes lawyers, engineers, and judges. We have mission-driven funders that include the U.S. government, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, and private charities.

To learn more, read our reviews from past clients, or read our press coverage.


Considering Bankruptcy?

Are you interested in our free bankruptcy services, talking to someone about alternatives to bankruptcy, or a free consultation with a paid attorney?

Need bankruptcy help?