Ready to say goodbye to student loan debt for good? Learn More
2020 Best Invention

How To Answer a North Carolina Court Summons for Debt Collection

5 minute read Upsolve is a nonprofit tool that helps you file bankruptcy for free. Think TurboTax for bankruptcy. Get free education, customer support, and community. Featured in Forbes 4x and funded by institutions like Harvard University so we'll never ask you for a credit card. Explore our free tool

In a Nutshell

If a debt collector sues you in North Carolina, your next step will depend on which court your case was filed in — small claims or a district court. If your case was filed in small claims court, you are not required to file an answer. You need to show up for the trial date on the summons.

If your case is heard in a district court, you must file an answer form within 30 days of getting notice of the lawsuit. You also have to send a copy of the stamped forms to the plaintiff (the person suing you).

Written by Upsolve Team
Updated December 4, 2023

How Do Debt Collection Lawsuits in North Carolina Work?

If your bills are piling up and you find yourself in debt, it’s important to be aware that your debt may end up in collections. If this happens, you’ll receive debt collection phone calls and written notices. And if you ignore these debt collection efforts, the debt collector may decide to bring a debt collection lawsuit against you.

You will be notified of the lawsuit with a summons and complaint

What Is a Summons and Complaint?

If a debt collector files a debt collection lawsuit against you, you will receive a summons and complaint for money owed. These are official documents that tell you that a lawsuit has been filed against you and what the lawsuit involves. 

The summons is a document issued by the court that notifies you that a lawsuit has been filed against you. The summons will tell you the deadline to respond to the complaint and which court will hear your case.

The complaint, called a Complaint For Money Owed form, outlines the allegations, or claims, that the plaintiff (the person suing you) is making against you. In a debt collection lawsuit, this usually means the complaint will list claims about your debt such as when your last payment was and how much the collector thinks you owe.

The complaint will also explain what the debt collector wants. Usually, they are looking for a court-ordered money judgment to collect the debt. The judgment amount could include the debt the collector believes you owe, any interest that has accrued since your last payment, or any other costs the plaintiff thinks you should cover as a part of the lawsuit. 

Here is an example of a complaint form in the state of North Carolina:

Image of a North Carolina Complaint for Money Owed form

Which Courts Handle Debt Collection Lawsuits in North Carolina? 

In North Carolina, debt collection lawsuits can be filed in either a small claims court or a district court, depending on how much you’re being sued for. 

Small claims courts hear cases of up to $5,000, or up to $10,000 in some cases, depending on the county and local court rules. It's best to check with your court clerk to find out what the small claims court limit is for your specific court. The court you need to report to will be on your summons and complaint. You can find where your court is located through the North Carolina Judicial Branch’s courthouse locator

If the debt amount is more than $10,000 — or $5,000 depending on your local small claims court’s limit  — but less than $25,000, a district court will hear your case. If the amount exceeds $25,000, a superior court will hear your case. 

Consumer debt collection lawsuits are usually for past-due credit card bills or medical debt. They rarely exceed $25,000, so most cases are heard in a small claims court or a district court.

Upsolve User Experiences

2,192+ Members Online
Ingrid Brown
Ingrid Brown
★★★★★ 1 day ago
Upsolve has helped me so much!!! They saved me thousands of dollars using their services instead of an over priced attorney
Read more Google reviews ⇾
Brandi Bederka
Brandi Bederka
★★★★★ 2 days ago
Thank God for this company! It's not easy having to come to terms with filing bankruptcy, and it's safe to say leading on to making this decision that life hasn't been going your way. But with Upsolve this company shines that little light at the end of the tunnel with how helpful and easy it is to file bankruptcy on your own because truly with this company you are never alone. They are there every step of the way. I am beyond grateful to have discovered Upsolve.
Read more Google reviews ⇾
John Heffernan
John Heffernan
★★★★★ 6 days ago
easiest thing ive ever had to do with or for the governmet regarding paperwork. i was worried that it was going to take weeks and months and i had it all done within 4 days time from start to finish and filed. it was also a matter of 20 minutes at the federal courthouse to file quick and painless the lady at the window was actually thrilled that i used upsolve because she said the people who use it always have zero problems or far and few between... i highly recommend using this sevice.
Read more Google reviews ⇾

How To Answer a North Carolina Court Summons for Debt Collection

If a debt collector sues you in the state of North Carolina, you need to take action. If your case is being heard by a district court, the first thing you need to do is fill out and file your answer form — this is your response to the lawsuit. Then, you will provide a copy of the filed (stamped) forms to the plaintiff (the debt collector) and make sure to keep a copy for your own records. 

In North Carolina, if your debt collection case is taking place in small claims court, you are not required to file an answer. You can file an answer or a counterclaim if you want to, but — unlike in district court — filing an answer form is not mandatory for small claims court. There’s no filing fee to file an answer or a counterclaim. 

Step 1: Get an Answer Form

You have 30 days to respond to the court summons and complaint after you receive them. 

You respond by filling out an official form called an answer form. You can get the answer form from the court that served you. The North Carolina Judicial Branch has a small claims eCourt Guide and File tool that can create the documents for you to print yourself.

Here is what the first page of the answer form for Mecklenburg County District Court looks like:

Image of a North Carolina Answer to Complaint form

Step 2: Respond to Each Claim From the Complaint

In the first section of the answer form, you will address each claim in the complaint by either: 

  • Admitting the claim is true, which means you agree with the statement

  • Denying that the claim is true, which means you disagree with the statement

  • Telling the court that you don’t have enough information to admit or deny the claim

Here is what that section of the answer forms looks like: 

Image of a North Carolina Answer Form Close Up

To fill out the answer form, follow along with the complaint and write the paragraph number for each allegation onto the corresponding admit/deny/lacks knowledge line. 

For example, if your complaint outlined four allegations and you admit to allegations 1–3 but deny the fourth allegation, your answer form would look like this:

Image of a North Carolina Answer Form with example

Step 3: Fill Out and Sign the Verification Section With a Notary Present

The second page of the answer form is the verification section. This is where you fill in your personal information (address and phone number), and — in the presence of a notary — write your name and sign the verification section.

Your signature means you’re agreeing that:

  • You are the defendant.

  • All information provided is true to your knowledge.

Here is what that section of the answer form looks like: 

Image of North Carolina Verification Section of Answer Form

Again, the verification section has to be signed in the presence of a notary or it is not valid. 

You can find a notary through the North Carolina Secretary of State’s Find a Notary search engine. 

Step 4: Make Copies of Your Answer Form

Make two copies of your original answer forms so you have three total. You’ll need one each for the following: 

  • To file with the court

  • To deliver to the plaintiff (debt collector)

  • To keep for your records

You can file your answer form with the court in person or through mail, though filing in person is recommended by 

Step 5: Sign the Certificate of Service 

In the last section of the answer form, you will fill out and sign the certificate of service that says you will serve the plaintiff (debt collector) a copy of your answer form. To “serve” simply means to give the plaintiff a copy for their records.

You can deliver the copy to the plaintiff in person or mail it to them.

The last section of the answer form looks like this:

Image of North Carolina Certificate of Service Portion of Answer Form

How To Prepare for Court Appearances

After you file your answer form, you will be put on the court’s calendar for either trial or arbitration. The claim in your case must be for less than $15,000 to qualify for arbitration in a North Carolina District Court.  

If your debt collection case is heard by a small claims court, your court date will be within 30 days of when the complaint was filed since an answer is not required. 

According to, the best way to prepare for court is to:

  • Prep and organize your paperwork.

  • Prepare any notes/talking points.

  • Arrive early on your court date.  

  • Dress appropriately — think job interview attire.

You can learn more about what to expect at the courthouse and more detailed steps on how to prepare by looking at LawHelpNC’s Preparing for Court guide

What Happens if You Don’t Respond to the Lawsuit?

It is never a good idea to ignore a lawsuit. If you ignore a lawsuit, you’re likely to lose the case by default. If this happens, the judge assigned to your case could issue a default judgment against you. 

A default judgment is a court order that allows the person or company suing you to request court orders like a wage garnishment, a bank account levy, or a property lien

Debt collectors count on you not showing up to court or responding to the lawsuit. By simply taking action and responding to the lawsuit, you give yourself a fighting chance to win the debt collection lawsuit.

What Do I Do if the Court Already Issued a Default Judgment Against Me?

If a default judgment has already been ordered against you, you can file a motion to vacate the judgment. This is essentially a motion to cancel the judgment ordered. 

You can file this motion by submitting an official request with the court you were served from. This process can be difficult to navigate, so seek legal help as needed

It's easy to get help

Choose one of the options below to get assistance with your bankruptcy:

Free Web App

Take our screener to see if Upsolve is right for you.

Take Screener
13,104 families have filed with Upsolve! ☆

Private Attorney

Get a free bankruptcy evaluation from an independent law firm.

Find Attorney

Upsolve is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that started in 2016. Our mission is to help low-income families who cannot afford lawyers file bankruptcy for free, using an online web app. Our team includes lawyers, engineers, and judges. We have world-class funders that include the U.S. government, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, and leading foundations. It's one of the greatest civil rights injustices of our time that low-income families can't access their basic rights when they can't afford to pay for help. Combining direct services and advocacy, we're fighting this injustice.

To learn more, read why we started Upsolve in 2016, our reviews from past users, and our press coverage from places like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.