Ready to say goodbye to student loan debt for good? Learn More
2020 Best Invention

Frequently Asked Questions About Bankruptcy and Tax Refunds

3 minute read Upsolve is a nonprofit tool that helps you file bankruptcy for free. Think TurboTax for bankruptcy. Get free education, customer support, and community. Featured in Forbes 4x and funded by institutions like Harvard University so we'll never ask you for a credit card. Explore our free tool

In a Nutshell

It's pretty well-known that tax debts typically can't be discharged in bankruptcy. But what if you're getting a refund? This article answers some of the frequently asked questions about tax refunds and bankruptcy.

Written by Attorney Andrea Wimmer
Updated October 30, 2020

I don't know how much my tax refund for this year will be, what should I do.

If you've been getting approximately the same amount of refund for the last few years and you haven't had any major life changes, such as getting married, having a child, buying or selling a house, or getting a new job, then it's ok to estimate your refund for this year based on that number. If your refund is different every year, or you have no idea how much you might receive, find a free tax refund calculator online to get an estimate.  

Why do I have to list my tax refund if I won't get it until next year?

Your Form 106A/B (Schedule A/B) has to list all property (called assets) that you own or have any interest in at the time your bankruptcy case is filed. While you're not getting your refund until you file your tax return the following year, as of the filing date, you're already entitled to a portion of the refund you'll be getting. After all, you've been paying taxes all year long.

Are all tax refunds protected in a bankruptcy?

No, there is no general rule that all tax refunds are protected. You can only protect your tax refund if the exemption law you're using has a specific tax refund exemption you can claim, or if there is a wildcard exemption you can use.

Federal bankruptcy exemptions have a pretty generous wildcard, so folks using the federal exemptions can typically protect their tax refund in full. Some states provide exemptions that protect tax refunds that are the result of a specific tax credit, like the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit. Some states, like Arizona, don't have any protection for tax refunds or a wildcard exemption.

Upsolve User Experiences

2,071+ Members Online
Lee Powers
Lee Powers
★★★★★ 7 hours ago
The last thing that you want to do, when you can’t pay those ridiculous credit cards, is to pay an attorney$$$$ to help to not pay those cards. This is where this organization comes in. If you look up all the paperwork that goes into filing a Bankruptcy Case it will blow your mind! Questions quickly come up like …What do I need / What don’t I need. So because my Brother had just filed $2000 with an attorney. He discovered after about this Upsolve organization, and let me say… it is a very good thing. You answer a bunch of questions it takes a while and then after they have there team Kind LAWYERS look at it couple weeks, you print out and sign and file it, I mailed it into the Court. It is important to follow their checklist, which includes the credit counseling, that all Courts Require. Thank you 🙏 Upsolve Team
Read more Google reviews ⇾
Connor Norris
Connor Norris
★★★★★ 1 day ago
thanks guys. what an amazing service. its inspiring in that its free and ultimately for the benefit of all.
Read more Google reviews ⇾
Erin Brianne
Erin Brianne
★★★★★ 1 day ago
very helpful. i couldn't have filled all that paperwork out on my own
Read more Google reviews ⇾

What happens if I don't list my tax refund?

If you don't list your estimated tax refund as an asset on your Schedule A/B, you can't protect your refund by claiming an exemption for it on your Form 106C (Schedule C). If an asset, including a tax refund, is not claimed as exempt on Schedule C, the trustee handling the case will take a portion of the refund and use the money to pay unsecured creditors.

The trustee says I have to amend my forms to list my refund. What should I do?

Since you can only protect your refund with an exemption if you list it, you should amend (update) your Schedule A/B to list your tax refund as an asset, and amend your Schedule C to claim all available exemptions. If no exemptions are available to protect your refund, you only have to amend your Schedule A/B.

If you’re an Upsolve user and need instructions on how to use our free web app to prepare your amendment, please visit and use the "Submit a Request" feature in the top right corner to send us a message. 

Will the bankruptcy trustee take my whole refund?

No, the trustee can only take the portion of your refund that can be traced back to before your case was filed. So, if someone files on March 30, the trustee can only take 1/4 of the refund. That's because as of March 30, there are three quarters left in the year, so the pre-filing portion of the refund is only 1/4. The later in the calendar year a bankruptcy case is filed, the greater the percentage of the tax refund that is an asset of the estate. If someone files on September 30, for example, three quarters of their refund are considered part of their bankruptcy estate and will be paid to their creditors by the trustee.

Can I just wait until the new year to file my bankruptcy to protect my refund?

No. If you file bankruptcy at the beginning of January, or any time before you receive your refund in the new year, then the trustee can take 100% of your tax refund. That's because you were entitled to the full refund when your bankruptcy case was filed.

How will the trustee know how much my refund was? 

As part of your duties as a debtor in bankruptcy you have to provide your trustee with a copy of your tax return once it's been filed. The trustee will use the refund information on your tax return to calculate the pre-filing portion of your refund. While there is nothing that says you have to file your taxes before Tax Day, the trustee can't close your case until they get a copy of your return. The sooner you get your taxes filed and a copy of the return sent to your trustee, the better.

Written By:

Attorney Andrea Wimmer


Andrea practiced exclusively as a bankruptcy attorney in consumer Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases for more than 10 years before joining Upsolve, first as a contributing writer and editor and ultimately joining the team as Managing Editor. While in private practice, Andrea handled... read more about Attorney Andrea Wimmer

It's easy to get help

Choose one of the options below to get assistance with your bankruptcy:

Free Web App

Take our screener to see if Upsolve is right for you.

Take Screener
12,715 families have filed with Upsolve! ☆

Private Attorney

Get a free bankruptcy evaluation from an independent law firm.

Find Attorney

Learning Center

Research and understand your options with our articles and guides.

Go to Learning Center →

Already an Upsolve user?

Read Support Articles →

Upsolve is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that started in 2016. Our mission is to help low-income families who cannot afford lawyers file bankruptcy for free, using an online web app. Our team includes lawyers, engineers, and judges. We have world-class funders that include the U.S. government, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, and leading foundations. It's one of the greatest civil rights injustices of our time that low-income families can't access their basic rights when they can't afford to pay for help. Combining direct services and advocacy, we're fighting this injustice.

To learn more, read why we started Upsolve in 2016, our reviews from past users, and our press coverage from places like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.