2020 Best Invention

Dealing with Returned or Undeliverable Mail from the Bankruptcy Court

2 minute read Upsolve is a nonprofit tool that helps you file bankruptcy for free. Think TurboTax for bankruptcy. Get free education, customer support, and community. Featured in Forbes 4x and funded by institutions like Harvard University so we'll never ask you for a credit card. Explore our free tool

In a Nutshell

If a creditor’s address is incorrect on the creditor matrix, the court’s notices to the creditor will be returned as undeliverable. You’ll either receive the returned mail (as you’re listed as the “sender” even though the court mailed the document) or a Notice of Undeliverable Mail from the court. Or both.

Written by Attorney Andrea Wimmer
Updated October 6, 2020

When you file bankruptcy, the court sends a document called the “Official Form 309A Notice of Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Case — No Proof of Claim” to the creditors you listed on your bankruptcy paperwork. This form gives each creditor important information about your case and tells them what they need to do if they have a reasonable objection to your bankruptcy.

If a creditor’s address is incorrect on the creditor matrix, the court’s notices to the creditor will be returned as undeliverable. You’ll either receive the returned mail (as you’re listed as the “sender” even though the court mailed the document) or a Notice of Undeliverable Mail from the court. Or both. You may also notice that the court’s “Certificate of Notice” has an “undeliverable” notation next to one or more of your creditors. 

The Certificate of Notice confirms that the court sent a notice about your bankruptcy filing to all of the addresses listed on the certificate. If you notice that one or more creditors are marked as “undeliverable” on the Certificate of Notice, the creditor did not receive what the court sent them because the address was inaccurate.

Here’s how to handle this: 

First, find the creditor’s correct address and send the notice to them as soon as possible. If you want to make sure the court has a record of this, you can submit a certificate of service to the court to add to your case docket. 

Then, you have two options: 

  • If you got a Notice of Undeliverable Mail (or something along those lines) from the bankruptcy court, follow the instructions provided in the notice. These notices vary somewhat from district to district, so if you’re not sure how to fill out and return the form, contact the court where you filed your petition and speak to someone in the clerk’s office about what you need to do. 

  • If you only received the returned mail (or the notice didn’t have any instructions on how to update the creditors address), follow these steps to update the creditor’s address with the court. 

Since this will ensure that the creditor will get all notices going forward, you shouldn’t have to file any amendments to update the address. 

Upsolve User Experiences

2,023+ Members Online
bryant graham
Bryant Graham
★★★★ 2 days ago
Upsolve was very helpful i highly recommend there service.
Read more Google reviews ⇾
Keith Vincent
Keith Vincent
★★★★★ 2 days ago
Upsolve provides a invaluable service at no cost. The clerk of court told me all of my paperwork was in order. It was done by myself with the assistance of Upsolve staff. Great Service for the people of this country. Thank you Upsolve.
Read more Google reviews ⇾
Andrew Morales
Andrew Morales
★★★★★ 3 days ago
Exceptional Service and Support - A Lifeline During Bankruptcy I am delighted to share my heartfelt gratitude for Upsolve and the exceptional assistance they provided my wife and me during our bankruptcy filing. Their expertise, kindness, and user-friendly platform made an otherwise daunting process remarkably simple and accessible. From the moment we engaged with Upsolve, their team exhibited an unwavering commitment to helping us navigate the complexities of bankruptcy with ease. Their knowledge and professionalism were evident at every step, and they went above and beyond to ensure we felt supported and understood throughout the entire journey. Upsolve's user-friendly platform was a game-changer, simplifying the otherwise overwhelming paperwork involved in bankruptcy filings. Their intuitive interface guided us through each necessary form, reducing confusion and streamlining the process. Thanks to their comprehensive resources and guidance, we were able to complete the filing accurately and efficiently. What truly set Upsolve apart was their empathetic and caring approach. The Upsolve team was always available to address our questions and concerns promptly, providing clear and compassionate explanations that put our minds at ease. Their commitment to accessibility is commendable, particularly for individuals like us who couldn't afford the services of a lawyer. Upsolve made bankruptcy filing a viable option for those facing financial hardships, providing much-needed support to those who need it most. While we have just completed the filing process and await the final outcome, we are confident that Upsolve's expertise and meticulous assistance will yield positive results. However, regardless of the outcome, we are eternally grateful for their invaluable help. They have given us hope and a fresh start, empowering us to take control of our financial future. If you find yourself in a similar situation, I wholeheartedly recommend Upsolve. Their commitment to making the bankruptcy process more accessible, their exceptional support, and their user-friendly platform make them an unparalleled resource for anyone in need. Thank you, Upsolve, for being our guiding light during this challenging time.
Read more Google reviews ⇾

What if the creditor doesn’t ever get the notice? 

The good news is that, in most states, the debt is erased even if the creditor does not receive this notice in a no-asset Chapter 7 case. This is because there would have been no funds available to pay the debt even if they were given a chance to object. It’s a “no harm, no foul” rule.

Some states don’t follow the “no harm, no foul” approach — if the creditor does not receive notice, the debt is not erased (unless the creditor otherwise knew about the bankruptcy). So, it’s best to update the creditor’s address once you realize there’s a problem.

Also, note that the "no harm, no foul" approach does not apply if the court sends a "Notice of Need to File Proof of Claim Due to Recovery of Assets" or similar notice in your case. This signals that your case is not a no-asset case and it's important to update the address for any creditor who didn't receive this notice as soon as possible in addition to sending them a copy of the notice.   

Written By:

Attorney Andrea Wimmer


Andrea practiced exclusively as a bankruptcy attorney in consumer Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases for more than 10 years before joining Upsolve, first as a contributing writer and editor and ultimately joining the team as Managing Editor. While in private practice, Andrea handled... read more about Attorney Andrea Wimmer

It's easy to get help

Choose one of the options below to get assistance with your bankruptcy:

Free Web App

Take our screener to see if Upsolve is right for you.

Take Screener
11,402 families have filed with Upsolve! ☆

Private Attorney

Get a free bankruptcy evaluation from an independent law firm.

Find Attorney

Learning Center

Research and understand your options with our articles and guides.

Go to Learning Center →

Already an Upsolve user?

Read Support Articles →


    + Show Articles

    Upsolve is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that started in 2016. Our mission is to help low-income families who cannot afford lawyers file bankruptcy for free, using an online web app. Our team includes lawyers, engineers, and judges. We have world-class funders that include the U.S. government, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, and leading foundations. It's one of the greatest civil rights injustices of our time that low-income families can't access their basic rights when they can't afford to pay for help. Combining direct services and advocacy, we're fighting this injustice.

    To learn more, read why we started Upsolve in 2016, our reviews from past users, and our press coverage from places like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.