Ready to say goodbye to student loan debt for good? Learn More
2020 Best Invention

How To Update A Creditor’s Address After Filing

1 minute read Upsolve is a nonprofit tool that helps you file bankruptcy for free. Think TurboTax for bankruptcy. Get free education, customer support, and community. Featured in Forbes 4x and funded by institutions like Harvard University so we'll never ask you for a credit card. Explore our free tool

In a Nutshell

If a creditor’s address is incorrect on the creditor matrix, the court’s notices to the creditor will be returned as undeliverable. Follow these steps to make sure this is corrected.

Written by Attorney Andrea Wimmer
Updated October 6, 2020

(1) Find the correct address for the creditor. Bills are a great way to do this, but you can also call the creditor, double-check your credit report or do an internet search.

(2) Mail the notice to the correct address. It’s a good idea to use registered mail with a return receipt requested so that you can prove service on the creditor if later they claim they didn't get the notice. If you want, you can also submit a certificate of service to the court. This tells everyone that you mailed out the notice, and where you mailed it. 

(3) Provide the correct address to the court for future mailings. Most courts have a system in place for changing a creditor's address on the creditor matrix after filing the case with a change of address form or online. 

You can call the clerk's office for the court where you filed your case to find out how they want you to handle this. If the bankruptcy court handling your case requires an amended Schedule E/F to update the creditor's address, follow the steps in this guide to do so.

Written By:

Attorney Andrea Wimmer


Andrea practiced exclusively as a bankruptcy attorney in consumer Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases for more than 10 years before joining Upsolve, first as a contributing writer and editor and ultimately joining the team as Managing Editor. While in private practice, Andrea handled... read more about Attorney Andrea Wimmer

It's easy to get help

Choose one of the options below to get assistance with your bankruptcy:

Free Web App

Take our screener to see if Upsolve is right for you.

Take Screener
12,724 families have filed with Upsolve! ☆

Private Attorney

Get a free bankruptcy evaluation from an independent law firm.

Find Attorney

Learning Center

Research and understand your options with our articles and guides.

Go to Learning Center →

Already an Upsolve user?

Read Support Articles →

Upsolve is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that started in 2016. Our mission is to help low-income families who cannot afford lawyers file bankruptcy for free, using an online web app. Our team includes lawyers, engineers, and judges. We have world-class funders that include the U.S. government, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, and leading foundations. It's one of the greatest civil rights injustices of our time that low-income families can't access their basic rights when they can't afford to pay for help. Combining direct services and advocacy, we're fighting this injustice.

To learn more, read why we started Upsolve in 2016, our reviews from past users, and our press coverage from places like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.