2020 Best Invention

Common Docket Entries & What They Mean

4 minute read Upsolve is a nonprofit tool that helps you file bankruptcy for free. Think TurboTax for bankruptcy. Get free education, customer support, and community. Featured in Forbes 4x and funded by institutions like Harvard University so we'll never ask you for a credit card. Explore our free tool

In a Nutshell

The docket is a case record prepared and maintained by the clerk of the court. Learn what common docket entries mean for your case.

Written by Your Upsolve TeamLegally reviewed by Attorney Andrea Wimmer
Updated February 10, 2021

The docket is a case record prepared and maintained by the clerk of the court. t contains a list of all documents filed in the case as well as hearing dates, deadlines, and documents issued by the court in the form of a notice, court order, or minute entry. It is a chronology of the case.

Adversary Proceeding

An adversary proceeding is a legal proceeding that can happen as part of a bankruptcy case. Adversary proceedings are generally the most complicated part of a bankruptcy proceeding, but they don't happen in every case.

What should I do if I received a notice about an Adversary Proceeding?

Upsolve is unable to assist with adversary proceedings. A private lawyer can help you respond to an "adversary proceeding" filed in your bankruptcy case. If you feel you need legal assistance, visit https://upsolve.org/find-a-lawyer/ for help finding a lawyer.

Read more about adversary proceedings.

Assets Discovered

"Asset" is another term for property. In bankruptcy, anything you own and anything you might have a right to own at a later time is an asset of your bankruptcy estate.

Exempt assets are protected in a bankruptcy. Non-exempt assets may be sold (or liquidated, in the case of intangible assets) by the bankruptcy trustee. 

What should I do if I got a notice stating there were assets discovered by my trustee?

The trustee filed a document stating that you have some nonexempt property that can be distributed to creditors. 

Read more about what this means for you

What should I do if the trustee filed a Report of No Distribution in my case? 

The Trustee's Report of No Distribution, or NDR, lets the court and all interested parties know that no money will be paid to creditors. All that’s left for you to do is wait for your discharge to be entered and the case closed.

Read more about the Trustee's Report of No Distribution & What It Means For Your Case

Case Dismissed

When a bankruptcy case is dismissed, it’s effectively been “thrown out” by the bankruptcy court. 

Read more about Bankruptcy Case Dismissals & How To Avoid Them

What should I do if the trustee files a motion to dismiss? 

The trustee is moving to dismiss your bankruptcy case because you have not completed your required tasks to get a fresh start. Call the trustee to find out what you need to do to avoid a dismissal. Let us know if there’s anything we can do to help! 

What should I do if my case is dismissed?

Your bankruptcy case has been dismissed without a fresh start. But all isn't lost. You can probably either reinstate your case or file a new one. 

Read more about My case was dismissed. When can I refile a new case or reopen my case?

What should I do if I got a notice that the Court vacated my dismissal?

Congrats your case was reinstated! You're back on track. Now make sure to complete all required tasks to obtain your discharge as soon as possible. If you have any questions, call your local bankruptcy court.

Upsolve User Experiences

2,190+ Members Online
Fair Ebony
Fair Ebony
★★★★★ 7 hours ago
Before I cam across UpSolve, I was going to pay over 2500 to file chapter 7 bankruptcy. My chance I cam across Upsolve and had the paperwork filed for free! This is a great website for those who may want a new start and don't want to go back into debt trying to obtain it. I'm grateful for all their help!
Read more Google reviews ⇾
Dee Diva
Dee Diva
★★★★★ 2 days ago
Thank you so much to this company for helping me file by myself for a new start. As a senior citizen you're unlimited income, so this was a great great help
Read more Google reviews ⇾
Brent Scott
Brent Scott
★★★★★ 2 days ago
the court cleark said, "Are these forms from Upsolve? Great! There always perfect. Just what we need."
Read more Google reviews ⇾

Fee Waiver Denied

Anyone who earns less than 150% of the federal poverty guidelines is eligible to apply for a fee waiver. But, that doesn’t automatically mean they will receive one. The judge decides whether to grant a fee waiver based on the information contained in the fee waiver application.

What should I do if the Court denied my fee waiver request?

Unfortunately, the Court denied your fee waiver application. That means you need to pay the $338 required filing fee according to the payment schedule listed on the denial letter. If you don't have the cash, borrow it from a friend or family member today. If you don't bring the cash to the court on time, your case will be dismissed. Write down the installment deadlines on your calendar. And as always, call your local bankruptcy court if you have any questions, including how to pay by check.

Read more about How To Check The Status Of Your Fee Waiver Application

What should I do if the Court requested a hearing to discuss my fee waiver?

The court has set a hearing to discuss your fee waiver application. Make sure you attend or you will have to pay the filing fee!

Read more about how to prepare for hearings in bankruptcy court

Missed 341 Meeting

The 341 meeting (meeting of creditors) is a necessary part of any bankruptcy case. Without it, your case will be dismissed without a fresh start! 

The Court sent me a notice that I missed my 341 meeting. What should I do?

If this happens, call your bankruptcy trustee immediately to see what you can do to reschedule the meeting. Make sure to follow their directions. Time is of the essence, so take action now. You've got this!

Read more about what to do if you missed your 341 meeting.  

Missed Installment Payment

If you don’t qualify for a fee waiver, you can ask the court to pay the filing fee in installments. 

I got a notice that I missed my installment payments. What should I do?

You were supposed to make an installment payment to the court, but you did not make it. Your case is going to be dismissed now unless you make the payment to the court ASAP. Please call the clerk's office of your court and make the payment immediately.

Missing Course Completion Certificate

Every person filing bankruptcy has to complete a credit counseling course (course 1) before their case is filed with the court. 

Read more about Bankruptcy Credit Counseling & Financial Management Courses

What should I do if I got a notice that the Court didn’t receive my Course 1 certificate?

You did not file the required credit counseling course for your bankruptcy. Your case is going to be dismissed unless you file it ASAP. 

What should I do if I got a notice that the Court didn’t receive my Course 2 certificate?

If you’ve already completed the course, mail a certificate of completion to the court right away. You may also want to check with the course provider to find out whether they’ll send a copy of your certificate to the court. 

If you haven’t completed course 2 yet, do so as soon as possible. Otherwise, you risk having your case closed without receiving your discharge. 

You need to complete Bankruptcy Course 2 immediately or you will not get a fresh start! If you have any questions, call your local bankruptcy court. You've got this!

Missed Pay Stubs

You’ll need your paystubs (if any) when your case is filed. Depending on the district you’re in, you’ll have to send them either to the bankruptcy court or the trustee. 

Read more about what’s needed in our Chapter 7 Document Checklist

I got a notice that I'm missing my paystubs. What should I do?

You have not mailed your trustee your last 60 days of pay stubs. Your case is going to be dismissed unless you call your trustee immediately and mail them your pay stubs. If you don't have pay stubs, you need to mail your trustee your Declaration of No Documents, which we included in your trustee packet.

Written By:

Attorney Andrea Wimmer


Andrea practiced exclusively as a bankruptcy attorney in consumer Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases for more than 10 years before joining Upsolve, first as a contributing writer and editor and ultimately joining the team as Managing Editor. While in private practice, Andrea handled... read more about Attorney Andrea Wimmer

It's easy to get help

Choose one of the options below to get assistance with your bankruptcy:

Free Web App

Take our screener to see if Upsolve is right for you.

Take Screener
11,002 families have filed with Upsolve! ☆

Private Attorney

Get a free bankruptcy evaluation from an independent law firm.

Find Attorney

Learning Center

Research and understand your options with our articles and guides.

Go to Learning Center →

Already an Upsolve user?

Read Support Articles →


    + Show Articles

    Upsolve is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that started in 2016. Our mission is to help low-income families who cannot afford lawyers file bankruptcy for free, using an online web app. Spun out of Harvard Law School, our team includes lawyers, engineers, and judges. We have world-class funders that include the U.S. government, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, and leading foundations. It's one of the greatest civil rights injustices of our time that low-income families can’t access their basic rights when they can’t afford to pay for help. Combining direct services and advocacy, we’re fighting this injustice.

    To learn more, read why we started Upsolve in 2016, our reviews from past users, and our press coverage from places like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.