My children receive social security benefits. Do I include this as income in my bankruptcy?

Successful debtor 1
Successful debtor 2
Successful debtor 3
Successful debtor 4
Successful debtor 5
3,045 families filed bankruptcy using Upsolve.

Written by Andrea Wimmer, Esq.  
Updated January 2, 2020

A nonprofit that helps you file bankruptcy for free.
  • We've helped over 2,000 families each clear on average $52,140 of debt.
  • Our users often file within 10 days of starting.
  • Our award winning nonprofit's help is 100% free.

There are two locations in your bankruptcy forms where income has to be disclosed: 

  1. Chapter 7 Statement of Your Monthly Income, Official Form 122-A1 (the Means Test)

  2. Schedule I: Your Income, Official Form 106I

The Means Test

Social security income is never included in the means test calculation of your household income. So, regardless of who receives the social security benefit, do not include it as income on your means test.

↑ Back to top
Fresh Start Diaries
"I'm going to be honest with you, pre-bankruptcy my credit score went down to a 543. My score today is a 720. With the help of Upsolve, I feel free again. I have the ability to build myself into something new."
I filed with Upsolve. Read my story →
Successful debtor

Schedule I

Schedule I provides the court and your trustee with an overview of your income going forward. It’s intended to illustrate your (in)ability to pay for necessities and keep making payments to your creditors going forward. Unlike the means test, the numbers are forward looking and not a historical average. 

If you use a portion (or all) of the social security benefits you receive for a dependent to pay for living expenses, you should include this amount on your Schedule I. It fits best in line 8f - as other government assistance that you regularly receive as you can indicate that the benefit is for your minor child and not yourself. 

↑ Back to top

Statement of Financial Affairs

If you don’t use the funds for living expenses at all, putting the full amount in a bank account for your minor child instead, don’t include it as your household income on your Schedule I. After all, it’s not available to pay for household expenses. In that case, make sure that you let the court know whether you’re an authorized user or joint owner of the bank account you’re making the deposits to in response to question 23 on the Statement of Financial Affairs. This will help avoid confusion down the line in case the trustee sees that you’re making deposits into this account from your account. 

↑ Back to top


If you use the social security funds your child receives as part of your household budget, make sure you disclose this on your Schedule I. Keep in mind, however, that it’s not part of your household income under the means test calculation and you can never be forced to use it to pay your creditors. 

↑ Back to top

It's easy to get help

Choose one of the options below to get assistance with your bankruptcy:
Page 1Created with Sketch.

Free Bankruptcy Help

Take our bankruptcy screener to see if you're a fit for Upsolve's free service!

3,045 families filed with Upsolve ☆

Private Attorney

Get a free bankruptcy evaluation from a local law firm.

Questions about bankruptcy?

Research and understand your options with our articles and guides.

Go to Learning Center →

Questions about Upsolve?

Read Support Articles →
Legal Services Corporation
Robin Hood
The Upsolve Team
Harvard University
Fast Forward

Upsolve is a 501(c)(3) legal aid nonprofit that started in 2016. Our mission is to help low-income Americans in financial distress get a fresh start through Chapter 7 bankruptcy at no cost. We do this by combining the power of technology with attorneys. Spun out of Harvard Law School, our team includes lawyers, engineers, and judges. We have mission-driven funders that include the U.S. government, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, and private charities.

To learn more, read our reviews from past clients, or read our press coverage.


Considering Bankruptcy?

Are you interested in our free bankruptcy services, talking to someone about alternatives to bankruptcy, or a free consultation with a paid attorney?

Need bankruptcy help?